Saturday, January 4, 2014

[Baking] Sylvanas / Silvanas: Meringue, Cashew Nuts and Buttercream

One of the  desserts from the Philippines that I miss is Silvanas.  
Simply put, it is a melt-in-your-mouth goodness of thin cashew meringue sandwich layered with buttercream, coated with cookie crumbs and best served cold.  Ohhhhh... yum!

I tried to make it and realized that it takes skill, practice, technique and patience.  LOL.
There's something about working with meringue that's so challenging.  Have you tried making French macaroons?  Aaaargh!  I wasn't too happy with my experience that I vowed to try making it again only if I have a stand mixer like a Professional series Kitchenaid (isn't that a good excuse?)

So this is what my silvanas looked like.  The meringue had a good crunch and was deliciously chewy but the buttercream was a tad bland.  Hmmmm.... Mr. C said it was delicious.
Silvanas
I will tweak my recipe and if they turn out perfect, I will share them with my friends, very willing tasters and critics.  

Have a wonderful weekend!
♥  michelle  ♥

No comments: